Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Costly Miscommunication

Admiring an Antique Clock
Larry and I made a quick trip to the house this weekend. Since the water heater had been removed, we stayed at the Pack House Inn. This time, we stayed in the main house—once known as the Proprietor’s Inn. Michael and Giuliano run a great B&B and I was happy each evening to go back to a hot bath and a real bed. Ironically, while I was wondering around the main building I came across an antique clock that could be a cousin to a clock I bought at auction in Colonial Beach about a month ago.  I’d show you a picture of my clock, but it’s at the clock shop in Vienna being cleaned and repaired. When I get it back, I'll post a picture of the two together. I can’t wait to get it back and sit it on our living room mantle.


Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign

When we arrived at the house, I couldn’t help but sing the lyrics of Signs, a well-known song of the 1960s by the Five Man Electrical Band. “Sign, sign, everywhere a sign. Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind. Do this, don’t do that. Can’t you read the sign?” It seems like everyone was getting into the act advertising their business by placing a sign on our front lawn.

The Color on the Roof is Called "Edenton Green"
The signs told us R&D Construction had been to the house, giving us a newly repaired and painted roof. With a 5 year warranty, we are hoping this investment will ward off all future ceiling leaks. The second sign, from HomeStyle, announced our appliances had been installed. I couldn’t wait to get out of the car and into the kitchen—but not before thinking maybe we should get our own sign that says, “Almost Out of Money”.

The Counter Tops Look Awesome
As we entered the kitchen we were welcomed by our new granite counter tops. They looked fantastic and really showed off the cherry cabinets. I immediately loved them. As I walked around the room, however, it seemed something wasn’t right. The center island was too high. I pulled up one of the counter stools from our Stone Vale house and it was immediately obvious the center island had been set at bar height vs. just above counter height as I had envisioned. Crap. How did that happen? And what could be done about it? I’m paying five times what my annual salary was in my first job for this kitchen and it’s not what I wanted!!!!

The next day Scott came by the house and told me (after a big sigh) it was possible to take the granite counter top off, cut down the counter and re-install the granite. Taking a big breath and letting out an even bigger sigh, I asked him to make the change. I may be smiling in the picture, but inside I was crying. My dear patient husband didn’t say much, but inside I’m pretty sure he was screaming.


1 comment:

  1. We miss you in NoVa, but I'm enjoying reading your reno-blog. I love your new old house, which feels a bit familiar--our home is a 1920 4-Square. Each month I look thru Historic Preservation for an old house to restore in a quiet little town, but for now it's just a fantasy. I'm enjoying going along on your ride!

    ReplyDelete