Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Working Hard on Labor Day


It was Labor Day weekend and boy did we "labor" at the house! I’m excited to see all our work coming together and am anxious to move in at the end of the month.

Last time I wrote, I mentioned I wanted to show you the progress we’ve made in the laundry room. Here is a photo of the slate floor that was installed in the laundry and mud rooms.

We unexpectedly came across some similar tiles in Lowe's, and installed them as a backsplash over the sink.





The laundry room is also home to all the water purification and softening equipment we purchased. As you can see, it takes up quite a bit of floor space in this tiny room. However, the water softener in particular will help extend the life of some of our new appliances so it was worth the trade-off.


Fortunately, we saved some space in the room by replacing our old water heater with a tankless version. Not only will it ensure I don’t run out of hot water before my tub is full, it’s a more efficient way of heating water. Unfortunately, the box that houses the mechanism is located on the side of the house visible from the patio. We definitely need to find a way to hide the equipment without impacting its operation. Does anyone have any creative ideas to share?

How Can I Hide this Monstrosity?
Larry and I spent most of the weekend painting. Returning to our original list of priorities to finish before we move in, we tried to complete all the painting in the master bedroom and bath, kitchen, mud room and first floor powder room.  We didn't make it, but we got close. 


Painting the Mud Room
Since I was also curious what the outside of the house might look like if we painted the window frames, corner boards and belt course Classic French Gray , Larry agreed to do a little experiment at the back of the house. While we won’t make any final decisions until the back door is painted Teal Stencil, I’m thinking we'll probably go with this new combination when we paint the house next spring. Leave me a comment and tell me what you think? 
Experimenting with Gray
After many hours of holding a brush we went home on Monday with big smiles on our faces knowing we just have one more visit before we move in.

1 comment: